Once again it’s Calgary’s annual Stampede Celebration, a time of year where our city is suddenly filled with a festival atmosphere and western wear. This year marks the hundred year celebration of the Calgary Stampede and it’s bound to be full of excitement. This parties are bigger and the attendance at the grounds promises break records. Business in Calgary know that the Stampede events are where a lot of deals are made, so if you are going to any of these it’s a great time to network and make some new friends.
With all the corporate Stampede functions being put on around the city these next two weeks can be great for networking and making job contacts. Who knows maybe the person waiting in line next to is your doorway to a new Job!
Here are 6 easy tips for making a good impression when in line.
1. Dress for the occasion with a Cowboy or Cowgirl hat and western wear. It’s about the spirit of the event and having some fun with it.
2. Look for corporate name tags or wristbands and introduce yourself.
3. Do not Drink too much, you never know who you might meet.
4. Ask a combination of pointed and casual questions ( What do you do? What other parties are you going to this week?)
5. Find out about any functions their organization is sponsoring and maybe how you would attend.
6. Get a business card and use it to send a friendly e-mail thanking them for the nice chat in line.
Take a break from the Job hunt for a FlapJack Hunt! During the Stampede there are free breakfasts offered everyday throughout the city. All you need to do is show up and grab a plate. http://www.flapjackfinder.com is a great website and phone app to help you find a breakfast near you. These are all put on by local companies and can be a great way to find out about any jobs openings they might have.
Remember to use the tips above because you never know who will be standing next to you. Good Luck and Happy Stampede!